Hypoglycemia is the presence of low levels of sugar in the blood, sugar is the main source of energy in the body, and the reasons for the decline in sugar, including what is linked to drugs used in the treatment of diabetes, and what is not linked Diabetes.
Hypoglycemia occurs as a result of an imbalance between glucagon and insulin. Insulin is the hormone that helps the body take advantage of glucose or sugar in food to supply the body with energy or to store glucose until it is needed, and regulates sugar levels within normal limits. Glucagon is an opposite hormone in its insulin function, which is produced as a reaction when sugar falls in the body, and in cases where the body needs larger amounts of sugar, such as vigorous exercise.
When sugar drops to about 80 mg /dL in the blood, the level of insulin decreases to the point of preventing hypoglycemia, but when the sugar level is lower, glucagon, the body’s first line of defense against hypoglycemia.
Symptoms of hypoglycemia:
When the blood sugar level is below 50 mg/dL, symptoms of hypoglycemia begin to appear, and the brain is initially affected by this because the brain relies primarily on sugar for energy, except in the case of fasting The brain uses ketone bodies as an energy source. Unlike the rest of the body, the brain does not benefit from free fatty acids as an energy source.
Symptoms that can appear on a patient when blood sugar falls are:
- The patient abnormally feels the heart when it beats.
- The patient suffers from Sweating more than normal.
- The patient usually feels that he constantly wants to eat.
- Abnormal sensation of numbness and tinglingaround the mouth.
- The patient may feel severe pain in the head.
- Sensation of fear, instability and anxiety.
When the person’s condition worsens, the blood sugar level drops more and more, the patient may also have the following symptom:
- The confusion and change in the patient’s behavior, as if the person cannot finish his routine tasks.
- Bad quality vision.
- When the concentration of sugar in blood drops significantly, a person can behave like a drunkard.