Children’s diabetes is an organic disease that causes the child’s body fail to produce insulin, which leads to fluctuations in blood sugar levels, and the failure of the body to transfer sugar to cells, also called diabetes type I, and is an immune disease, where The immune system attacks beta cells in the pancreas, which are responsible for the production of insulin in the body, which leads to the production of insulin in very small quantities, or stop production completely, and it is worth mentioning that the normal blood sugar in children is equal to seventy milligrams / dl.
Symptoms of diabetes in children:
- The child’s feeling of extreme thirst, and the desire to drink water and cold drinks most of the time.
- Frequent urination especially at night, increasing urine quantities.
- The child’s feeling of extreme hunger, due to the depletion of energy in his body.
- Feeling tired all the time.
- Problems with vision, and the child may have difficulty in looking.
- The appearance of fungal infections in various parts of the child’s body, especially in the genitals.
- High levels of ketones in the blood.
- Rapid body weight loss.
- Child with behavioral disorders.
- Cold extremities, lethargy, and low temperature.
- Frequent sweating and trembling of the body.
Treatment of diabetes in children:
When diagnosed with diabetes, the child should be admitted to hospital for a week or more, as required by the condition of the child. The symptoms caused by diabetes in his body, especially dehydration and severe acidity, are treated as follows:
1- Fluid and insulin injections:
The doctor begins by giving the child fluids and intravenous insulin injections, until the child’s health begins to improve and stabilize his or her sugar. It is worth mentioning that taking the insulin lasts all his life. the amount and number of doses vary depending on the child’s condition.
At present, hopes have been raised for the treatment of pediatric diabetes by radical transplantation of stem cells in the pancreas, so that the cells responsible for the production of insulin are implanted, so insulin production is normal. Several successful experiments have been performed, and their results have not been shown in the long run.
2- Natural herbs:
Some natural herbs may treat diabetes in children, which should be taken under the supervision of the doctor, and among these herbs: mint, ring, chamomile, cinnamon, and sage, which is taken dipped, and also dipped olive leaves, Its great effectiveness in lowering blood sugar.